GillyMac Doodle Challenge – Creating The Doodle Book

Hello my lovely doodlers … In this post, I will show you how I created the front of my Doodle Book, which comprises all the weekly sew-ups from the Summer Challenge. From this post, you could take the method and change the design or copy the design. It is completely up to you. Below, there are two videos. One of me sewing up the Doodle Book cover and then a second video which covers the topic of installing eyelets – which for some reason I get confused about every time I do it, so I created a video for it just in case you are also ‘eyelet challenged’ :-).  The eyelets are used to allow a ribbon or cord to bind the book.

To get started with the front cover I marked the piece as shown. My piece was bigger – but below are my suggested measurements if you are sticking with 12″ (black) or if it was the 16″ that I created (red).

The large box in the middle is for an oversized ‘D’ which I used a ruler for the lefthand sized straight part and then the curve on the right side was drawn freehand.  The rest of the letters and numbers were freehand drawn onto freezer paper, cut out and ironed in place. Their size was dictated by the space available. Check the space you have. For 12″ squares and the word ‘challenge’ You will likely use a 1″ wide letter – which you could make up to 2″ tall, but 1 1/2″ tall may look better.  I found that the “2018” needed to be smalled. For the 12″ piece you could abbreviate to ” ’18 “. When you use freezer paper it is shiny on one side. This is the side with the wax on it and you will draw on the other side and then when you iron it onto your fabric, you will iron with the shiny side down – allowing the wax to temporarily sticky to the fabric.  Once stuck down, you can easily draw around the shapes with a chalk pencil or whatever you have to hand to mark the fabric.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you don’t have freezer paper, you could use normal paper, cut out the shapes, used a line of sellotape to temporary fix them and draw around the shapes just as I have suggested above. When you remove the shapes you can complete the lines where the tape has stopped you drawing previously. This method is just as good.

Now with my piece completely marked up I freehand sewed around the large “D” and all the other letters and numerals. It is at this stage the first video starts. (see below)

To complete the book I added the binding and eyelets to every page and then bound it with a spare piece of binding which I had sewn down along the long edge to make it more like a cord. You could use ribbon, cord or anything you like.  The eyelets I used were Prym 5mm eyelets from Amazon, along with the hammer from the small tool kit I bought myself years ago when I felt the DIY was getting a bit sluggish around here… (it worked, the DIY suddenly ramped up as he thought I was trying to do his jobs and make him redundant – this toolkit is now referred to as the Replacement Toolset :-))

OK … my work here is done… The resulting book looks brilliant.

I have missed you all over the past 3 weeks and look forward to getting back to the doodles in a few weeks time.

Leave a Reply